Hoyt Lakes Man Involved in Virginia Pursuit Charged in Court

Daniel Fredrickson

VIRGINIA, Minn. – Virginia Police Chief Nicole Mattson reports that on Tuesday, March 14, around 1:30 a.m., the Virginia Police Department and St. Louis County Sheriff’s Department received information about a 29-year-old white male with an active felony warrant.

The man, Daniel Earl Fredrickson of Hoyt Lakes, was reportedly armed with a handgun driving a white passenger car with pink pinstripes.

Authorities located the suspect vehicle in the 1100 block of 2nd Avenue South in Virginia.

The male fled from officers and a vehicle pursuit ended when the male crashed into a residence at 602 11th Street South.

He attempted to flee on foot after it was disabled. Officers apprehended the male and booked him into St. Louis County Jail.

On Thursday, March 16, Fredrickson was formally charged in St. Louis Count District Court with Second Degree Assault, Fleeing a Peace Office in a Motor Vehicle, 5th Degree Possession of a Controlled Substance, and Driving after Suspension.

Official Criminal Complaint:

On March 14, 2017, at approximately 1:29 a.m., Sgt Tarr from the St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office located a vehicle that had been reported to be driven by Daniel Earl Fredrickson. Sgt. Tarr was aware that Fredrickson had an active felony warrant for his arrest. Sgt. Tarr coordinated with other squads to apprehend Fredrickson as he was pulled up to a gas pump. As squads made an approach, Fredrickson jumped back into his car. Sgt. Tarr was standing in front of Fredrickson’s vehicle with him at gunpoint. Fredrickson then took off at a high rate of speed without turning his lights on. Sgt. Tarr was forced to jump out of the way to avoid being run over.

Fredrickson fled at a high rate of speed westbound on Eleventh Street South and crashed sideways into a house. Fredrickson then took off on foot and was chased by Officer Nichols from the Virginia Police Department, where he was taken into custody. Fredrickson was transferred to the Emergency Room and later transferred to the St. Louis County Jail. During the search of Fredrickson at the St. Louis County Jail, down on the floor near his feet, Sgt. Tarr observed a rolled up piece of plastic, approximately two inches in width, lying on the floor. The plastic contained suspected methamphetamine and later weighed .42 grams and tested positive for methamphetamine. The room that Fredrickson was searched in had been examined by the jail earlier and nothing was on the floor. Sgt. Tarr and Deputy McTavish also did not notice anything on the floor when they entered the room.

A review of Fredrickson’s driving status showed he was suspended.