Cause of Animal Shelter Fire Released; Donations, Adoptions Needed

 

SPOONER, Wis. – A cause is now known for the fire that ripped through the Washburn County Area Humane Society in Spooner.

The fire broke out around 1 a.m. Thursday.

On Monday, authorities said the fire is believed to have started in a plastic cigarette butt container next to the building.

Meanwhile, the Northwoods Humane Society in Hayward has taken in the 10 cats and two dogs that were rescued from that fire.

A few of those cats are still being treated for smoke inhalation, while one of the dogs has already been adopted.

Northwoods is hoping the community can help them out with the extra pets by donating supplies, like dog and cat food, shampoo, litter, treats and more.

To help build a new animal shelter in Spooner, click here for the GoFundMe account.