DULUTH - The Duluth Fire Department responded to Fryberger Arena at 8:00 last night following a report of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Fire crews found approximately 30 people inside the hockey arena along with dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide.
Everyone was evacuated from the arena, where firefighters found carbon monoxide levels as high as 285 parts per million.
Fire crews called for Gold Cross Ambulance after they found eight people complaining of headaches and nausea and detected elevated blood levels of carbon monoxide.
Gold Cross crews assessed and monitored several people, but took only one person from the scene to the emergency room.
Hockey teams that had played earlier in the evening were notified of the problem and one person was transported to the emergency room from his home by ambulance.
People were encouraged to go to an emergency room if they were experiencing symptoms, especially those from a team that had practiced in the arena for two and a half hours.
The cause of the carbon monoxide presence in the arena was investigated and appeared to be the result of a combination of problems that are still being assessed.
The propane powered zamboni and aging heating and water heating systems were suspected possible causes.