DULUTH - The Duluth Fire Department responded to a house fire early Christmas morning.
The fire occurred on the 600 block of East 5th Street. It started on a second-floor kitchen when some cooking food was left unattended.
Asst. Fire Chief Erik Simonson said, "People need to be careful especially with cooking. It's one of the number one causes of fires... accidental fires in the state. And unattended cooking, it seems like every other day we go to one of these types of fires."
He said a couple and a house guest were the only ones in the apartment and did not sustain any injuries. They awoke to the smell of smoke and attempted to extinguish the fire before leaving the building. Fire fighters said they are not sure if the apartment had working smoke detectors. There were two pets in the apartment at the time of the fire and they received medical treatment at the scene.
The department has estimated the damage to be $35,000.
It appears as if neither of the neighboring buildings are occupied at this time.