SUPERIOR - A small fire at Superior's Perkins Friday morning left thousands in damage. The fire started shortly before five and crews were called after employees smelled smoke and discovered the fire on the roof.
The fire was quickly extinguished and crews dismantled a portion of the eaves and soffit in the location of the fire, finding no fire extension to the interior of the building.
Authorities say the cause appears to be a malfunction in the exterior neon lighting system.
No one was injured and initial damages are estimated at $10,000.
After a short delay to temporarily cover the damaged area, Perkins planned to open for business as usual Friday morning.