CLOQUET - A mother and her son are safe after their smoke detector woke them up to fire in their home.
It happened around 3:30 a.m. Friday on Doddridge Ave.
The woman quickly got her son who was asleep in the bedroom next to the fire and escaped.
Officials say the fire started in one bedroom and extended to the attic above that room.
They're urging everyone to have a smoke alarm.
"Working smoke detectors are the number one way to stay safe in your home,” Cloquet Area Fire District Fire Chief Kevin Schroeder said. "We suggest you change your batteries every time you change your clocks in the spring and the fall. They're cheap. If you don't know where to find one or get one contact your local fire department or visit a local hardware store."
One room was destroyed and the rest of the home has smoke and heat damage.
The woman and her son were not injured.