Easter Fire in Duluth Started by Improper Disposal of Smoking Materials

Duluth Fire Started by Improper Disposal of Smoking Materials

On April 5, 2015 12:50 p.m., there was a fire in a 20 unit apartment building at 1705-07 E 2nd street.

The cause of the fire is accidental, improper disposal of smoking materials.

The Duluth Fire Department would like to remind people to properly dispose of smoking materials as there have been multiple fires in the past year caused by smoking.

It is important for smokers to know the steps they can take to keep themselves and their families safe from fire.

•The safest place to smoke is outside of the home. Use a sturdy ashtray or a can filled with sand to collect ashes.

•Use ashtrays with a wide, stable base that are hard to tip over. If it wobbles, it won’t work.

•Ashtrays should be set on something sturdy and hard to start on fire, like a table.

•Put it out. All the way. Every time. The cigarette needs to be completely stubbed out in the ashtray.

•Empty ashtray often. Soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before throwing them away. NEVER toss hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash.

•Don’t put ashtrays on sofas and chairs. Chairs and sofas catch on fire fast and burn fast. If people have been smoking in your home, check for cigarettes under cushions.

•NEVER smoke while using oxygen or anywhere near an oxygen source, even if it is turned off. Oxygen makes any fire burn hotter and faster.

•If you are drowsy or falling asleep, put it out. Smoking in bed is very dangerous.

•Make sure that you have a working smoke alarm, replace alarms after 10 years 

Categories: Duluth-imported, Minnesota-imported, News-imported, St. Louis County MN-imported