Police: Carbon Monoxide Not a Factor in Eveleth Illnesses

Eveleth Police say carbon monoxide was not a factor that led to many people falling ill at an Eveleth apartment building on Saturday. 

Police said the initial belief was that carbon monoxide played a role, however,  the carbon monoxide tests at the hospital were determined to be a false positive. 

Authorities were called around 2:00 a.m. Saturday morning to the 600 block of Adams Avenue after a man experienced flu-like symptoms earlier in the night. 

The hospital ran tests and found elevated carbon monoxide levels in the man’s system. 

Police went back to the apartment and evacuated all nine residents. 

The residents were transported to Essentia-Health Virginia as a precaution, however, no carbon monoxide was found in their systems. 

Police Chief Tim Koivunen says the test was a false positive. 

The Eveleth Fire Department went back to the apartment and found no levels of carbon monoxide present. 

Authorities say all residents of the apartment are doing well. 

The incident remains under investigation. 

Categories: News-imported, Police-imported