Two Hospitalized With Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Two people in Superior were hospitalized early Sunday morning due to toxic levels of Carbon Monoxide in their apartment.

Shortly after 3 a.m., the Superior Fire Department responded to 1516 Broadway for a report of a possible carbon monoxide leak.

Firefighters found low levels of carbon monoxide — 5 parts per million (ppm) — in the building’s main hallway.

The Fire Department checked every apartment in the building and found one apartment with a carbon monoxide concentration of 70 ppm.

The residents of the apartment were transported to the hospital by ambulance.

Upon investigating, it was determined the carbon monoxide was coming from a malfunctioning furnace, and the apartment’s carbon monoxide detector had been disabled.

Residents were only alerted to the carbon monoxide leak when a neighbor’s detector activated.

According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, exposure to carbon monoxide becomes hazardous when concentration levels reach 70 ppm.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless — making it undetectable to humans. 

Symptoms of exposure to toxic levels of carbon monoxide are similar to those commonly associated with the flu.

They include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness.

Symptoms worsen at higher concentrations.

Prolonged exposure to concentration levels between 150 and 200 ppm will cause vomiting, confusion, loss of coordination, and can be fatal.

Categories: Community-imported, Environment-imported, Fire and Rescue-imported, Life-imported, News-imported, Video