Victim Killed by Carbon Monoxide on Leech Lake Identified

Authorities have identified the man who died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in an ice fishing house on Walker Bay. 

34-year-old Jared Nels Johnson, of Akeley, Minnesota, died on Sunday. 

The Cass County Sheriff’s Office responded to a medical emergency at a fish house on Walker Bay around 4:40 Sunday afternoon. 

When authorities arrived, they found Johnson dead, and three other men experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

One of the men was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Park Rapids before being transferred to Hennepin County Medical Center. 

The two others were treated on scene and released. 

Police say propane devices used to heat the fish house were not ventilated and led to unsafe levels of carbon monoxide inside the structure. 

Categories: Community-imported, News-imported, Police-imported