HazMat Team Responds to Mercury Spill in Gogebic County
The Upper Peninsula Regional Hazardous Material Team responded to a mercury spill at a home in Gogebic County Wednesday.
Authorities responded to the home around 3:30 Wednesday afternoon in the Township of Erwin.
They say the homeowner was cleaning the basement and knocked over a glass bottle of Mercury on to the concrete floor. The homeowner evacuated the structure and called 911.
The HazMat team recovered 3 ounces of mercury from the scene, along with several contaminated items.
The Western UP Health Department is assisting the family.
Mercury is a liquid metal that was formerly used in thermometers, switches and blood equipment. Studies show that it is highly toxic, even in small amounts.