Duluth Fire Department Responds to Chemical Leak

A possible chemical leak at Comfort Suites hotel in Canal Park

Early Monday afternoon, the Duluth Fire Department responded to a report of a possible chemical leak at Comfort Suites hotel at 408 Canal Park Drive.

Crews arrived to find that a private pool contractor had accidentally mixed hydrochloric acid and sodium hypochlorite (bleach) while servicing the hotel pool. The reaction causes the release of chlorine gas.

Chlorine gas poisoning can cause symptoms such as difficulty breathing, fluid in the lungs, burning in the mouth, swelling of the throat, throat pain, stomach pain, vomiting, and blood in stool. Chlorine exposures can damage your circulatory system by changing the pH balance of your blood.

Crews immediately evacuated the building and secured the scene. On employee at the hotel, was treated for possible exposure and was transported to a local hospital. No other injuries were reported.

The mixture was contained and neutralized by fire department crews. The entire building was ventilated and monitor by crews for approximately three hours before allowing individuals to return to the building.

Categories: Community-imported, Fire and Rescue-imported, News-imported