Dr. Michael Overend Reminds Northlanders of Potential Dangers for Pets

Chemicals Used for Winterization can be Deadly for Our Animals

The holiday season is officially right around the corner. It’s time for friends, family, and good food, but what we can’t forget our furry friends. In this week’s Animal Answers we examine the winter worries for your pets.

For humans, one of the biggest winter hazards can be driving. For pets, winter worries can include serious situations, aside from turkey scraps, and too many sweets.

“Exposure to mouse poison, rat poison type materials is very dangerous,” said Dr. Michael Overend, Owner and Veterinarian at Lake County Veterinary Clinic.

Many people have placed materials out to try to prevent mice and other critters from invading cabins or homes. With the placing of the poison, Dr. Overend is looking to educate, so you don’t hesitate.

“Fall and winter months can include things that are toxic for pets. Typically what we call anticoagulant mouse poisons or rodenticides,” said Overend.

It’s a traditional task, when snow starts to settle in. Closing up cabins, and winterizing in the Northland.

“We’ve had two cases recently of mouse poisoning, in pets.”

Toxic terrors, such as d-CON, sometimes become hidden, sneaky problems.

“The owner came in and said absolutely not, no possible exposure to mouse poison; she couldn’t think of anything that the dog got into,” said Overend.

Many times, it takes days before symptoms start to develop.

“It can happen, even when you’re not aware of the risk.”

Especially during the spring months. Dangerous materials are often left behind after the cold weather passes by.

“It takes very little material, very little of that rodenticide to cause potentially fatal poisoning. Animals that ingest that material will actually bleed to death, internally,” said Overend.

Chemicals like d-CON and anti-freeze work to stop the normal ability for your animal’s blood to blot.

Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, weakness, and soreness in the joints are just some of the symptoms after swallowing the life changing chemicals.

“It can be treated successfully if caught in time. If you put anti–freeze in the toilet of your cabin, shut the lid. Make sure they can’t get into it,” said Overend.

Prevention, so the future doesn’t become expensive, or extensive.

“Make absolutely sure your pets don’t get into that because it takes a very small amount to potentially kill them,” said Overend.

Dr. Overend says pets will feel weak and unable to do normal activities. Bleeding on the outside of the pet is cause for immediate concern, and you should call your local veterinarian right away.

The veterinarian will quickly diagnose your animal, and begin flushing their kidneys.

Other items dogs should stay away from include grapes, raisins, deer carcasses, and greasy holiday meals.

Click here to visit the Lake County Veterinarian Clinic’s webpage.

Categories: Animal Answers-imported, Community-imported, Education-imported, Family-imported, Features on Fox-imported, Life-imported, News-imported, Pets-imported, Video