Death toll increases to 36 in Oakland warehouse fire

The fire broke out late Friday night during a dance party

The death toll in the Oakland warehouse fire has grown to 36.

Authorities announced the latest tally, early Monday, saying they expect the number to rise.

Eleven victims have been positively identified, but all names have yet to be publicly released. Seven of the victims were identified as, Cash Askew, 22, of Oakland; David Clines, 35, of Oakland; Nick Gomez-Hall, 25, of Coronado, Calif; Sara Hoda, 30, of Walnut Creek, Calif.; Travis Hough, 35, of Oakland; Donna Kellogg, 32, of Oakland; and Brandon Chase Wittenauer, 32, of Hayward, Calif.

Work has stopped at the scene for now because one wall is leaning inward, posing a safety hazard for those who have been searching the structure. Officials hope to have an engineering solution later today.

Authorities also believe they’ve located the section of the building where the fire started, but the cause remains unknown.

The fire erupted at the warehouse known as “Ghost Ship,” late Friday night, during a dance party.

The district attorney’s sent a team to search for signs of crime in the warehouse, which was already being investigated by the city for possible code violations, according to Fox News. The space was permitted to only be a warehouse, and neighbors had complained of people living there illegally, and trash piling up.


San Francisco Bay Area authorities say a fire has broken out at an Oakland warehouse, where people were having a party, and police say there are “casualties.”

Oakland police Officer G. Plasencia says the fire department responded around 11:30 p.m. Friday and that firefighters were still on the scene early Saturday morning. Oakland firefighters tweeted video of the fire erupting through the roof.

Authorities told reporters about 50 people were inside the building, which houses a group of artists and their studios, according to The Associated Press.

Plasencia said he had no further description of the casualties, referring reporters to the coroners office for more info. The office said the coroners were also on scene Saturday morning, and were unavailable for comment. The fire department also had no immediate details.

Categories: Fire and Rescue-imported, News-imported, Police-imported