Officials Identify Lakeside Fire Victim

No Working Fire Alarms Were Found Inside the Home at 4516 Cooke Street in Duluth

DULUTH, Minn. – Duluth fire officials announced Wednesday morning the name and preliminary cause of death for the man who died in a house fire on Cooke Street in Duluth Tuesday.

Ray Allen Nordin, 64, died in his home located at 4516 Cooke Street in the Lakeside neighborhood.

Officials are ruling the fire accidental, but aren’t sure whether smoking materials or a space heater is to blame.

No working smoke detectors were found in the home.

“Everyone needs to have smoke alarms and you should have them on every level of the house. Basement, first floor, and the best protection is in every bedroom,” said Duluth Fire Marshal Marnie Grondahl.

It’s believed Nordin was likely trying to get out, but couldn’t because of heavy smoke and high heat.

He was later found with the use of a thermal imaging camera and pulled out.

“Once a fire gets into the flaming stage, it can double in size every 30 seconds, so you don’t have time to go find your pets, let us do that. You have time to get your family out of the house. You don’t have time to go back for anything,” said Grondahl.

Fire officials are reminding Northlanders that fire detectors can be picked up from the American Red Cross, and professionally installed by the Duluth Fire Department free of charge.

Categories: Community, News, News – Latest News