Crafting Wild Rice Walleye Cakes
Cooking Connection: Burnt Onion Kitchen & Brews
BIWABIK, Minn. – Burnt Onion Kitchen and Brews is the restaurant in the new chalet at Giant’s Ridge in Biwabik, Minnesota.
It’s headed up by Chef Dan Schimka.
There is hand-crafted beer, hand-cut steaks, seafood flown in from Hawaii and fresh pasta.
For this week’s Cooking Connection Chef Dan taught FOX 21’s William Seay how to make wild rice walleye cakes.
- add half cup of heavy mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. white wine
- lemon juice
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp. wasabi
- fresh chopped parsley
Wild Rice Walleye Cake:
- chop 6-8 piece of tilapia in a food processor
- add seasoning, lemon juice, and 1 tbsp. of heavy cream; mix again
- transfer mixture to a bowl
- add green and red peppers
- add parsley
- add wild rice
- add yellow onion
- chop walleye and add to mix (must be cooked and cold)
- form cake and cover in panko
- brown cakes in pan on medium-high heat
- once browned, finish cooking in an oven for about 10 minutes
- drizzle wasabi mayonnaise on top
Taste of Italy is taking place on Thursday, April 20.
There will also be a Mother’s Day buffet on Sunday, May 14.
For more information on the restaurant, head to their website.