Officer Overdoses from Powder on Shirt after Drug Arrest
A total of four doses of Narcan were needed to revive him
EAST LIVERPOOL, Ohio (AP) – Police say an Ohio officer suffered an accidental overdose after a drug arrest when he touched power on his shirt without realizing it was the powerful opioid, fentanyl.
He was treated with four doses of Narcan, an overdose reversal drug, after brushing off the powder with his hand and passing out Friday, in East Liverpool, roughly 85 miles southeast of Cleveland near the Pennsylvania line.
Fentanyl can be absorbed through the skin, and experts warn a small amount can kill an adult.
East Liverpool police Capt. Patrick Wright says the officer had followed protocol and wore gloves and a mask when searching a car during a drug arrest. But Wright says the officer later instinctively wiped his shirt when another officer noticed powder on it.
Wright says the officer was fine by Sunday.