REAL ID: What You Need to Know

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Minnesotans will be able to get a REAL ID compliant driver’s license and ID card next year, under a law signed by Governor Dayton, Thursday.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety Driver and Vehicle Services (DPS- DVS) will begin the process of meeting federal requirements set by the REAL ID Act, which was enacted in 2005.

The REAL ID Act was enacted to “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification such as driver’s licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards and prohibits Federal agencies form accepting for official purposes IDs from states that do not meet these standards.

The new law will require the DPS to begin issuing the new IDs by October 1, 2018.

Things you need to know right now:

  • NO action is required at this time
    • Compliant IDs will not be available until next year
    • No need to get a new license unless it’s time to renew an expiring one
    • If a license expires before Oct. 2018, individuals will continue to renew in the same way they do today
  • Federal facilities
    • Current driver’s licenses can be used as identification to board domestic flights until Jan. 22, 2018
    • Minnesotans who plan to visit federal facilities, nuclear power plants, and military bases will need to show an alternative form of identification in addition to their state driver’s license
      • Gov. Dayton has filed an extension from the federal government that “would allow Minnesota’s current licenses to be used for all federal purposes”
  • When REAL ID cards become available
    • Minnesotans will have the option of a compliant card or non-compliant card when applying or renewing an ID
  • What DPS-DVS will do now
    • DPS-DVS will begin the process to meet the requirements of the REAL ID Act and the timeline outlined in the state law – includes working with Dept. Homeland Security
  • Enhanced Driver’s Licenses
    • An enhanced driver’s license or identification card, are among the federally approved border crossing documents required under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative
    • According to the Dept. of Homeland Security, the are acceptable for official federal purposes such as accessing a federal facility or boarding a commercial aircraft
    • EDL’s or EID’s are available for $15 in addition to the standard ID fee.


Categories: News, News – Latest News, Political