Free Summer Camps and Academies Offered at Lake Superior College
Educational Camps Feature Aviation, Nursing, Robotics and More
DULUTH, Minn. – This summer Lake Superior College is continuing their tradition of educating youth for free through summer academies.
Registration is now open for the academies that are offered in several subjects.
All exploration academies and camps are held in June and July.
Summer Academy/Camp Subjects:
- Aviation Camp -A summer camp for young people ages 15-19 who are interested in learning more about aviation and aerospace careers. Two cohorts include a co-ed group and a women’s group. Students will have a chance to operate a flight simulator and experience a “Discovery” flight in one of LSC’s aircraft. Talks by professionals working in the aviation industry and career exploration will be provided. Tours of local aviation industries and the airbase are also planned.
- Robotics Academy – Build a working robot! Campers will work in teams at Lake Superior College’s Downtown Center to assemble robots, using kits and onsite manufacturing tools and equipment. Guest speakers will talk about jobs in manufacturing and educational pathways.
- Fire Fighting Academy – Ever wonder what it would be like to live in the boots of a firefighter? Students ages 15-19 will explore career opportunities in the emergency medical, safety and rescue fields. An introduction to firefighting attack, safety and survival will include hose-lines, ladders, ventilation, forcible entry, auto extrication, high angle rescue, search and rescue and CPR.
- Scrubs Camps – Students will spend two days exploring a variety of healthcare careers including nursing, laboratory science, social work and many others. Students will experience these careers through field trips and hands-on activities facilitated by healthcare professionals and college faculty. Any student entering grades 6-8 by fall of 2017 is eligible.
- CyberCamps – Introductory GenCyber and Advanced GenCyber are camps for students in grades 7-12. Introductory GenCyber Camp is full but there is a waiting list.
- Advanced GenCyber Camp is for students in grades 7-12 who have completed Intro to GenCyber or have other experience. These academies are part of a program sponsored by the National Science Foundation and National Security Agency to encourage youth to pursue cyber careers that are key to the cyber defense of the country.
Registration is now open for all academies and camps.
If you have any questions, please contact Kirsten Bowman at 218.733.6923 or email@example.com.