Grandma’s Marathon Weekend Traffic Advisory
WILLIAM A. IRVIN 5K / GARRY BJORKLUND HALF MARATHON / GRANDMA'S MARATHON
DULUTH, Minn. – Events for the 41st annual Grandma’s Marathon weekend begin Friday evening and run through Saturday evening. The following advisories have been issued by the Duluth Police Department:
Friday, June 16 – William A Irvin 5K:
- Race begins at 6 p.m.
- Traffic on Harbor Drive behind the DECC will be closed beginning at 3 p.m.
- At 5:30 p.m. portions of Railroad Street will close for the duration of the race.
- Delays are expected to last approximately one hour
- Southbound traffic on 5th Avenue West will be allowed down Railroad to access the DECC parking lot
- Motorists should obey temporary “No Parking” areas on Railroad Street and Harbor Drive.
- AQUARIUM ACCESS: Parking lot access will be interrupted from 5:45 p.m. to approx. 6:30 p.m.
- DECC ACCESS: North Gate off of Railroad, from Lake Ave and 5th Ave. Only exits will be through the Ramp onto Railroad and onto northbound 5th Ave W
- Traffic is expected to return to normal around 7 p.m.
Friday, June 16 – Marathon Set Up:
- Beginning at 12 p.m. Canal Park Drive from Railroad St to Buchanan St will be CLOSED for Grandma’s Marathon finish line set up. The roadway will remain CLOSED until AFTER Grandma’s Marathon late Saturday afternoon.
Saturday, June 17 – Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon & Grandma’s Marathon:
- Beginning at 4:15 a.m., Scenic Highway 61 will be CLOSED to traffic between Duluth and Two Harbors
- Lakewood, Homestead, Ryan, and McQuade Roads will be CLOSED from Highway 61 Expressway to Scenic 61 at 4:15 a.m.
- Avenues leading down to London Road will close at 5 a.m.
- Superior Street from 12th Avenue East to 5th Avenue W will be closed at 5:45 a.m.
- Harbor Drive, Commerce Street/Railroad Street, Lake Place Drive, and Canal Park close at 5;45 a.m.
- Northbound lane of I-35 will be closed from Mesaba to 26th Ave at 5:45 a.m.
- Southbound lane of I-35 will be closed from 26th Ave E to 21st Ave E at 4:30 a.m.
- EAST: Eastbound traffic will use 2nd Street to 21st Ave E, then south to Superior Street – detour takes effect at 5:45 a.m.
- WEST: Westbound traffic on Superior Street will turn North onto 21st Ave E, then continue west on 3rd Street – detour takes effect at 5:45 a.m.
- NORTH I-35: Northbound traffic on I-35 will be diverted up Mesaba Ave to 2nd Street at 5:45 a.m.
- Parking is NOT allowed on the race course – violators will be towed
- Canal Park Area: Motorists are encouraged to use the Bayfront Park Lots or the DECC, which are accessible from Railroad St or the Aquarium Lot which is accessible by 5th Ave W. Railroad St may be accessible by either 5th Ave W or Garfield Ave
- PARK POINT ACCESS:
- Long delays are expected throughout the weekend.
- Saturday: The only access to Park Point will be from 5th Ave W to Railroad St. or Garfield Ave to Railroad St – directional arrows will be placed along the detour route.
Motorists are asked to slow down and be alert to special signing and lane closures on Highway 61 Expressway, just south of Two Harbors.