Beatrice Ojakangas Displays Many Uses of Rhubarb Juice
Cooking Connection: CHUM Rhubarb Festival
DULUTH, Minn. – This weekend rhubarb will be filling Duluth for an annual festival.
CHUM’s Rhubarb Festival is Saturday, June 24 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m
There will be everything rhubarb from pies and jams to sausage and juice.
There will also be games, crafts, music, auctions and stage shows.
This is all taking place at 11th Ave. E. and London Road.
After that fun comes to a close, Rhubarb After Dark will be from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. at the Red Herring Lounge.
For this week’s Cooking Connection, Beatrice Ojakangas showed FOX 21 how to take advantage of rhubarb juice.
Ways to Use Rhubarb Juice:
- sweeten 1 quart with 1/2 cup sugar, pour into glass with ice cubes, OR mix with ginger ale
- Mix half and half with champagne
- Mix with gin or vodka; shake with ice; strain into martini glass; garnish with orange peel
- Mix with tequila; pour over ice cubes and garnish with fresh lime
Rhubarb Orange Vinaigrette:
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened rhubarb juice (1/2 cup sugar/quart)
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder or regular chili powder
- Pour juice into saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until juice measures 1/4 cup. Pour into a mixing bowl. Slowly whisk the oil into the reduced juice until well blended. Whisk in the mustard, salt, orange zest and chili powder. Pour into a jar. The dressing may separate; shake before serving over greens.