Flower-Infused Chocolate Cream Puffs to be Featured at Chocolate After Dark
Cooking Connection: June Apple Kitchen
DULUTH, Minn. – Arc Northland is once again holding their Chocolate After Dark Fundraiser.
The 21st annual event will include sampling chocolate creations from featured local chefs, a silent auction, a gift card wall and a cash bar.
All proceeds from the event go to supporting and expanding Arc Northland’s advocacy and educational programming for individuals and families with disabilities.
This is taking place on Thursday, March 8th at the Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites – Downtown Duluth in the Lyric Conference Center from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Tickets are $40.
For more information, head to arcnorthland.org.
Megan Reynolds, the Owner of June Apple Kitchen, is one of the featured chefs.
For more information on June Apple Kitchen head to juneapplekitchen.com.
For this week’s Cooking Connection she made lavender-infused cream puffs.
CREAM PUFF DOUGH:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup flour
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- Pipe onto a parchment lined sheet, back at 425 until browned all over, 25-30 minutes
WHITE CHOCOLATE LAVENDER CREAM:
- 3/4 cup of lavender infused heavy cream
- infuse 1.5 teaspoons in1 cup cream for 8-12 hours
- 4 oz. chopped white chocolate
- 3 tablespoons water
- Pinch of salt
- Chop chocolate and place in a bowl
- Heat cream in a pot until it simmers
- Once heated, pour cream over chocolate and stir
- Let sit for 15 minutes, stir again
- Once it’s combined, let chill in refrigerator (preferably overnight)
- Once cooled, whip cream with electronic mixer
- Fill cream puffs with spooned whipped cream
ROSE CHOCOLATE PASTRY CREAM:
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 5 tablespoons sugar plus 1 teaspoon
- Pinch salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into two pieces
- 2 oz. finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon rose water
- Heat half-and-half, 4 tablespoons sugar, and salt in small saucepan over medium until simmering.
- Meanwhile, beat yolks until smooth. Add remaining sugar and whisk 15 seconds until sugar dissolves. Add cornstarch and beat until light and thickened, another 30 seconds.
- Once simmering, temper the egg mixture by slowly whisking 1/2 cup of the half-and-half into the eggs. Then pour all the egg mixture into the pan and whisk vigorously until mixture thickens and becomes glossy, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and whisk in chocolate, rose water, and butter. Chill at least 3 hours before using.