Fire Rips Through House on West Fourth Street

No One Injured in Blaze

DULUTH, Minn.- Scary moments on Tuesday afternoon after fire broke out inside a home on West Fourth Street in Duluth.

At one point, fire officials worried the homeowner was trapped.

Nobody was injured in this fire. The cause all centers around a cigarette.

The fire broke out around 3:30 p.m at 4209 West Fourth Street.

A neighbor called in the fire.

When firefighters got to the scene, they saw heavy smoke coming from the front door.

Because the resident’s car was in the driveway, crews thought the elderly man might be trapped inside.

However, they later found him uninjured in the back alley with some of his animals. Other animals were found safe in the house.

“No injuries. All pets accounted for. It’s a good day for that elderly man and the DFD,” said Duluth Fire Department’s Assistant Chief Chris Martinson at the scene.

Crews responded quickly and stopped the fire from spreading to other parts of the house.

About $15,000 in damage was caused by the fire.

The Assistant Fire Chief tells Fox 21 this was a good example of neighbors watching out for each other. Because someone called the fire in so quickly, a lot of damage was prevented.

The other part of this story is to make sure those cigarettes aren’t still lit when thrown away.

Categories: News, News – Latest News, Public Safety