UPDATE: One Person Taken Into Custody After Standoff in Superior

Woman seen jumping out window at seen on 1900 block of Banks Avenue.



UPDATE: More information has been released by the Superior Police Department concerning the standoff earlier today.

At approximately 6:25 a.m. officers were requested to respond to the 1900 block of Banks Avenue to investigate a neighbor dispute. Officers learned that the upstairs tenant of the duplex had allegedly threatened the downstairs tenant with a hammer and later, with at least one knife.  The suspect was also alleged to have bitten the victim.

The suspect refused to speak with officers about the allegations and instead, while holding a lighter stated to one of our officers that they were going to “blow the duplex up.”  Without further clarification the suspect retreated into the duplex and stopped communicating with officers.

Officers deemed the suspect’s threat to be credible and evacuated the lower apartment. Additionally, because the suspect was alleged to be armed with a knife, police say it became paramount to attempt to de-escalate the situation as safely as possible for officers as well as for the suspect.

The Superior Fire Department assisted in shutting off the gas service to the duplex. Additionally, Superior Water, Light and Power responded to the scene to shut off the electric and water service to the house. The Emergency Response Team, including their crisis negotiators, were also dispatched to the scene. Members of the negotiator unit attempted for several hours to get the suspect to come out of the house.

Verbal commands did not accomplish the desired aim of getting the suspect to peacefully surrender. After approximately four hours of negotiations, an attempt to dislodge the barricaded suspect was made. At approximately 11:45 a.m. a volley of seven non-burning chemical irritant rounds were deployed into the apartment.

“The round we used does not generate heat or flame,” police said in a press release. “The chemical irritant contained in the round is non-flammable and does not interact with other chemicals or with things commonly found in the environment where it is deployed.”

Within moments of the volley being deployed a thick black smoke was seen coming out of the window on the East side of the duplex. Moments later the suspect jumped out of the second story window on the South side of the apartment; the suspect was immediately detained by officers and turned over to Mayo Clinic Ambulance paramedics and members from the Superior Fire Department.

Police say the suspect is not in serious condition. Two pets were also rescued during the event.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and members of the University of Wisconsin Public Safety Department were called in to take over the crime scene.

The Wisconsin Department of Criminal Investigation was called to the scene to investigate the origin of the fire.


UPDATE: A person was seen jumping out the window of the top floor of the home at about 11:50 a.m. and was taken by police.

According to the Superior Police Department, the preliminary investigation revealed that  the upstairs tenant of the duplex, located on the 1900 block of Banks Avenue, had allegedly threatened the downstairs tenant with a knife and had subsequently retreated into the upstairs apartment and allegedly threatened to light the duplex on fire.

The Emergency Response Team, including their crisis negotiators, were dispatched to the scene.

Approximately 30 minutes ago officers observed that the duplex was on fire.

One person was taken into custody and the fire was quickly attended to by the Superior Fire Department who were already on scene standing by.

This is an ongoing crime scene and updates will be provided as more information becomes available.

There is no threat to the public at this time as this is an isolated disturbance which has been contained.


SUPERIOR, Wis. – Superior police are responding to a “disturbance” this morning on the 1900 block of Banks Avenue.

Police say during the call for a response to the area it “became apparent that a more robust response was necessary to deescalate the situation.”

According to reports, the person causing the disturbance has been uncooperative with law enforcement.

The Emergency Response Team has been deployed to support the effort.

Police say there is no threat to the public at this time but are asking that people stay away from the area to allow law enforcement to do their work.

Police are calling the incident an isolated disturbance that has been contained. They are currently working to contact the suspect in the home.

According to our reporter on the scene, around 10:40 a.m. police were seen deploying gas canisters into the home where the suspect is believed to be located in an effort to get the person to exit the building. Police have asked the suspect to “Come out the front door with your hands up.”

This is an ongoing event and we will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

Categories: News, News – Latest News, Wisconsin